Tuesday, 31 January 2012
Thursday, 19 January 2012
Today is 20th February 2012. My boys are coming back from Miri for a week school holiday. Couldn't wait to hear their exciting and thrilling experience especially Nafeez. It is his first experience staying in a hostel. Wonder what are his side of the story? What will be Naquib's tale in his school too? He will be sitting for his PMR this year. Another worries and sleepless night. They will be taking the afternoon flight from Miri. Hope the weather is fine. Really hate the turbulence whenever I'm in the small aircraft@twin otter. For those celebrating Chinese New Year, KONG XI FA CAI! Happy holiday to my students. Don't forget to complete your homework given during the holiday.
Monday, 9 January 2012
Thanks to a good friend of suggesting the name of the programme, which she was and is also using the name for her SPM students. As for me, I used it for my 2011 PMR students and will continue to carry out the programme in 2012. It is sort of an extra class cum English tutorial class that focuses on the skills learnt. Besides the tutorial mode, there will be an English Workshop that motivates the students and also exposing students to the techniques in answering the questions. Surprisingly, my PMR students loved the name of the programme even though they found the name rather weird. Moreover, the name of the programme stayed in their little mind.
The objectives and aims of the programme are to produce quality and also quantity in term of exam performance for good students and also average students. The implementation of the programme will be updated later...Don't worry, I'll share with you the programme if you are interested.
HOW TO PRODUCE A GOOD PIECE OF WRITING?
1 CREATIVE Introduction
-to hold the interest of the reader
- can begin your essay by using direct speech, a question, stating your feelings etc.
You may begin your essay by using a question or stating your feelings :
How many of us can recollect our early experiences as a baby? For me, my earliest begin only at about the time when I could walk. Prior to that I cannot recall even a little bit.
2. EXPAND ideas by adding details - adjectives and adverbs
a. Add adjective to nouns
e.g. Ah Moi is a clerk.
Ah Moi is a hardworking clerk.
b. Add adverb to verbs
e.g Ah Moi walks to her office.
Ah Moi walks slowly to her office.
c. Add phrases
e.g. Ah Moi works in a school.
Ah Moi works in a school near a river.
Checklists for effective narrative writing
1. Opening/setting scene or introducing characters
Some possible options for opening a story ‘to grab the reader’
· using dialogue, e.g. a warning given by one character to another
· asking the reader a question
· describing some strange behaviour of one of the characters
· using a dramatic exclamation (Help!) or dramatic event
· introducing something intriguing
Techniques for introducing characters
· using an interesting name
· limiting description on how the character feels, e.g. sad, lonely, angry or
what they are, e.g. bossy, shy
· relying on portraying character through action and dialogue
· using powerful verbs to show how a character feels and behaves, e.g.
· giving the thoughts and reactions of other characters
· revealing the characters’ own thoughts and ideas
Saturday, 7 January 2012
Thursday, 5 January 2012
-attributing human characteristic or qualities such as speech, feelings, action and appearance to non-human things or abstractions
“The wind stood up and gave a shout.
He whistled on his finger”
“Kicked the withered leaves about”
“And thumped the branches with his hand”
-words and phrases used specifically to help the reader to imagine each of the senses:
SMELL, TOUCH, SIGHT, HEARING and TASTE
“When the buttercups paved the earth with yellow stars”
“When the bushes are full of the sound of bees”
Circle the correct answer.
1. The River is referred to as ‘a winder’ because it __________
A. cannot sit still
B. moves in a straight line
C. twists and turns as it moves
D. crosses the villages and countryside
2. In Stanza 3, what is the river hoarding?
A. Gobbled up trees
B. A chest full of treasures
C. Stones, soil and other debris
D. Marine life and dead carcasses
3. The word ‘vexed’ in Stanza 6 can be replaced with the following except ____
4. Which of the following themes is NOT mentioned in the poem?
A. The river is heavily polluted.
B. The river causes natural disasters.
C. The river is a natural source of life.
D. The river is a natural source of water.
5. What does the poet mean when she says ‘he’ll swallow you next’?
A. The river can drown people.
B. The river is angry towards Man.
C. The river is very hungry for humans.
D. The river does not care about humans.
Wednesday, 4 January 2012
First day of school was a little bit chaotic but everything was under control. School started at 7 o'clock in the morning and ended at 2.20 pm. I was in my positive mood and looking forward to teach my eager and innocent looking students. Oh! Wonder what was in their mind after I briefed them of the do's and don't in my English lesson. So many things to do but I don't know where to begin...and at the same time wondering how does my second boy coping with his new school and environment. His first time staying in the hostel and away from home.